Remi Piet – Innovation and best practices in community engagement towards the social licensing...
Updated: May 14
Innovation and best practices in community engagement towards the social licensing of extractive projects
Senior Director @ Embellie Advisory
Over the last 10 years, Embellie Advisory has worked with extractive companies and communities to build lasting collaboration towards the social licensing of mining and energy projects.
This presentation will detail innovative best practices in community relations and bottom-up initiatives to support inclusive development in the projects’ area of influence. In particular we will detail the benefits of the Embellie Community Participation and Local Content platform recently endorsed by several UN agencies towards the realization of Sustainable Development Goals in partnership with the extractive sector
The main objectives of the platform are to:
- facilitate community participation in decision-making for the future of the mining territory,
- build incremental and sustainable alliances between mining/energy companies and community actors
- help small local entrepreneurs participate in local content initiatives and/or develop their capacity towards the commercialization of their products
- improve governance and transparency in the territory, reduce conflicts and facilitate cross-sectoral collaboration
- Provide early alert ad recommendation for risk mitigation
- Offer a dynamic 24/7 link between community members and project developers
- Provide a platform for two-way communication and partnership building
- Train community actors and/or local content suppliers providing regular SDG linked content.
Dr. Remi Piet is the cofounder of Embellie Advisory, a company dedicated to above-the-ground-risk analyses and social license to operate for the mining, energy and infrastructure sectors in emerging markets. Be it sustainable value creation for stakeholders and investors or a counterparty risk analysis ahead of an asset purchase, Remi leads the design and execution of bespoke engagements for a range of extractive companies in Latin America, Africa and South East Asia.
Remi leads a team of experts at Embellie Advisory, dedicated to build sustainable collaboration with local stakeholder towards the inclusive development of mining and energy projects’ areas of influence. Embellie Advisory works with several UN agencies and universities to engage the extractive sector, design and implement community led development initiatives as well as build local alliances with community towards a territorial development along the lines of the SDGs
Remi received a PhD in Political Economy from the University of Miami, a MBA and a MA in International Development from Laval University (Canada) and a Masters in Economics from Universite Paris La Sorbonne. Remi has worked on projects in more than 60 countries and taught at several universities including the University of Miami, HEC (Paris) and Qatar University.
Any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org